This 10-minute routine will work the key abdominal muscles and can also improve your strength and endurance. Do 12 reps of each move, one after the next, with no rest. Repeat for another set. Work up to 3 sets, 3 times a week and you’re golden.
1. Rotating Side Plank
- Start in a push-up position.
- Balance on your right hand and extend your left arm toward the ceiling.
- Place your left foot on top of your right, resting on the edges of your feet. Hold for 1 to 2 seconds.
- Roll back to center, then balance on your left arm so that you’re in side plank facing the opposite direction.
- Hold for 1 to 2 seconds; roll back to center. That’s one rep.
2. Superman Lift
- Lie face down on your stomach with arms and legs extended. Keep your neck in a neutral position.
- Keeping your arms and legs straight (but not locked) and torso stationary, simultaneously lift your arms and legs up toward the ceiling to form an elongated “u” shape with your body — back arches and arms and legs lift several inches off the floor.
- Hold for three seconds and lower back down to complete one rep.
3. Dead Bug
- Lie on your back, arms extended toward the ceiling, legs perpendicular to the floor.
- Bend your knees 90 degrees. Brace your core so that your back is flat.
- Slowly lower your left arm and right leg simultaneously, your arm reaching toward your head and leg straight, until your lower back starts to lift.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side. That’s one rep.
4. Single Leg Bridge
- Lie on your back, arms out to your sides, palms down, knees bent, and feet flat on the floor close to your butt.
- Squeeze your glutes and raise your hips to create a straight line from your knees to your shoulders. Raise and extend your left leg, keeping your hips level.
- Lower back to start, with your butt on the floor. Repeat on the opposite side. That’s one rep.